Recipe Series: Smokey Old Fashioned
The perfect cocktail for cooler autumn evenings; smoky, bold, and slightly sweet. For all of its suave simplicity, the Old Fashioned remains as relevant today as it was 200 years ago.
A delightful twist on a true classic cocktail, perfected by the team at Eichardt’s Bar.
- 60ml Smoked Bourbon
- 1 spoon Brown Sugar
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 5ml Soda Water
- Orange peel
- Long Bar Spoon
- Cobbler Shaker
- Lots of ice
- Lowball whiskey glass
- Smoke your bourbon in the oven – we cold smoke using wet manuka wood chips
- Add the sugar and bitters into a mixing glass, then add the soda water, and stir until the sugar is nearly dissolved.
- Fill the mixing glass with ice, add the bourbon, and stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into a lowball glass over one large ice cube.
- Squeeze your orange peel over the top of the glass to express the oil, then lightly burn the peel with a lighter and drop into the glass to garnish.
Tip: Start by using good bourbon, the rule being that if you wouldn’t sip it by itself, it has no place in a cocktail
Tip: You can use brown sugar simple syrup instead of just sugar itself, made in a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water.
Tip: Always use quality ice and ensure drink is not over stirred, and therefore over diluted